Reading Books




“Learning from other writers is something all writers do, not just new writers. There are great benefits from reading. Seeing how someone else has written a description and brought a character to life can help you to see how you might tackle it yourself.”

I read books because I love to read, but as I read, my unconscious is studying the writing , and I will be learning how to writer better. When I read for a second time, I analyse how they brought to life a character or even a scene – for me it's harder to bring a character to life.
And of course, depending on the mood, the descriptions change, and that matters! So I also study how the emotions are described.

There's nothing wrong with be influenced by other writing.
That's normal. And that's has nothing to do with originality. It's a great way to learn.
While I was writing Wind Without Return I frequently stoped writing because what I was writing didn't had the impact that I wanted. Reading new books – included writers that I didn't hear about – helped me to accomplish that.
Actually, it still helps me (every time I read the books again I find something new).
The series of books that I am talking about it's Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I read it in portuguese first and then in English and Jesus!, things are so different. But one thing remains – that I find abosolutely important in my writing -: every single detail matters. There's always a reason why things are how they are. That changed completely the way I was writing. Because it was also Fantasy – the same genre of my writing – it had a bigger impact on me.
Of course the story it's fantastic and she has so many characters, and so well written!
So, for me, Sarah J. Maas is a Master.
You writers have to find yours!

Comments

Popular Posts